-->

Monday, August 5, 2013

Tales from Overguilds- A Dwarf Fortress

Dwarf Fortress, if you're not already familiar with it, is an amazing game where you take a band of  dwarves to some spot in the wilderness and direct their effort to build a dig a colony out of the rock. Your dwarves must grow all their own food, brew their own liquor (and dwarves begin to work slowly when they sober up), make their own furniture, clothes, and weapons. Eventually your dwarves all die horrible deaths due to your mismanagement or any of the other hazards in the game.

 I founded Overguilds in 1052 on a spot not far from an existing dwarven civilization. The spot is on an existing road, and I expect to get many immigrants. But more interestingly it also has the entrance to a cave on the side of the mountain. My plan is to capture the creatures in there and tame them. Also, to feed them the occasional goblin or kobold thief. 

For my expedition I have chosen: Ineth Olonmelbil- a miner and the expedition leader, Ral Mengmor- a woodworker, Shem Zikeludib- a mason, Kadol Kolotsus a stonecrafter, the planter Shem Unibasdug, and two unskilled pesants. 


By the beginning of summer, Ineth has dug out temporary living quarters that include a dormitory, a meeting area, space for farming, warehouse space, and basic warehouse space. The next project will be to build a trade depot as a more secure entrance. Also I will have Ral build some cages so I can place traps near the cave entrance. Hopefully I can catch a troglodyte to experiment on.


No comments:

Post a Comment