-->

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Tales From Overguilds, Part 9

Early Autum 1053

I've been a way for a while so, for a refresher:

  • I have a population of 52.
  • Plenty of food for the time being.
  • Three newborn dwarven infants.
  • No military to speak of.
  • A cave that spews out dangerous angry creatures.
  • The immigrant waves I've had have all been large, I'm probably two immigrant waves away from seeing my first goblin ambush. 
  • Plenty of flux, but no ores on my map.
 Obviously, my most important concern is getting my fortress able to defend itself, both from goblin invaders and from the cave full of troglodytes that have killed two dwarves and a blue peacock.



My plan to secure Overguilds consists of two parts, first to construct a danger room and begin training a military to be equipped with weapons and armor made from metals acquired from the caravan.

The other part of my plan is to remove most of the stairs and ramps on the surface so I can force hostile creatures and invaders  into cage traps. I also plan on walling off my above ground pastures.


The second part of my plan is where I ran into my first problem with that plan, while my legendary miner was removing the slopes near my bee hives, he was accosted by one of they previously mentioned troglodytes. You might think that an legendary dwarven miner armed with their trusty pickax would be able to kill a troglodyte with ease, I know I thought so.
My wounded miner.

Well, now I have a wounded miner on resting in bed waiting for my newly appointed chief medical dwarf to diagnose his injuries.

My militia commander (the sole armed dwarf in the fortress besides my woodcutter) is dispatched and makes quick work of the troglodyte. 

Her first kill... I hope it's the first of many.
But my militia commander only commands one other dwarf. For her to be a true militia commander, she'll need to actually have dwarves under her command, so it's up to me to see who I can assign to her command...

But what's this? A dwarf has been possessed and has claimed a workshop. Just when I was occupied by more important things, too. Typical of Dwarf fortress, really. Degel Tashemolin,  for your sake, you had better make a diamond axe in that jeweller's workshop you just claimed. Degel immediately runs to the gem stockpile across the hall and grabs some rough amethysts before beginning construction. Looks like I am gonna be saddled with an amethyst earring or sock... And it's an earring, big surprise! It'll go well with my other artifact earring.

Now back to setting up my militia. I've added a few useless dwarves to my militia and now I set up a barracks for them to train in... 

Let's hope he's just here to say irritating things.

What's this? A TROLL is harassing the masons who are trying to wall off my pastures.  Well, I guess I'll dispatch my militia again....

More Tales from Overguilds

No comments:

Post a Comment