-->

Friday, September 20, 2013

Yet Another Sock Monkey

It's green. So very, very green.
 Alright, I'm a sucker for sock monkeys, this is the third one I've made. They're so easy to put together on as a spur of the moment project that it's almost hard not to amass a collection of them. It doesn't hurt that the drug store around the corner from my house has some brightly colored knee socks on sale for cheap.

This one is a bit of an experiment, as I knew that I wouldn't have enough polyfill laying around, I decided to use plastic grocery bags to stuff it instead. I find that it works reasonably well with a few caveats. First, it doesn't have as much spring to it as polyfill, so it doesn't bounce back as much when you squeeze it. Second, the bags are visible through the socks I used, which you can see in the photo below of it's arm seam. And the finished monkey weighs noticeably more than the ones I stuffed with polyfill. Finally it took a lot more bags to stuff than I expected. I ended up using all but a handful of the plastic bags I had on hand. All said, plastic bags do work for filling stuffed animals, but I'm gonna keep using polyfill.

I also tried a different approach to stitching the arms and tail on. In my previous sock monkeys, I stitched a flap to the body, ending up with a seam that looks a bit like a hinge. With this one I figured out I could sew the end of the limb to the body then hide the seam by stitching the circumference of the limb to the body. The end result looks much prettier.

Previous Attempt.
Notice the ugly seam attaching the arm.
This seam looks much cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment